PURSUANT TO PART II SECTION 11(1) (r) OF THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT (2007),AND PART II SECTION 5.2 OF THE SIM CARD REGISTRATION REGULATIONS, THE LIBERIA TELECOMMUNICATIONS AUTHORITY HEREBY ISSUES AND PUBLISHES THIS ORDER.
WHEREAS,the Telecommunications Act 2007 (the Act) empowers the LTA to make orders respecting any matter or thing within the jurisdiction of the LTA under the Act, a regulation or rule, including orders to compel a person to comply with or implement the purposes of the Act, a regulation, rule or license, and, upon publication by the LTA such orders shall have the same legal force as a rule;
WHEREAS,the Amended SIM/RUIM Card Registration Regulations are made to provide a regulatory framework for the compulsory and verifiable registration of all activated SIM/RUIM Cards and SIM/RUIM Card users and the establishment of a control administration and management of a subscriber database for all SIM/RUIM Cards and the users thereof by Telecommunications Service Providers;
WHEREAS, the implementation of the SIM Card Registration Regulation will improve national security in the country, provide a platform for the efficient functioning of other electronic communications services including mobile money transfer and other such services, enhance the chance of subscribers replacing their SIM Cards in the event of loss, minimize the opportunity for communication frauds (grey routing of calls) as operators are mandated to activate only registered SIM/RUIM Cards on their networks, and ensure the creation of a reliable database of subscribers by operators;
WHEREAS, following due notice, opportunities to be heard and inputs from various stakeholders, and taking into account the results of public consultations in line with the LTA’s Guidelines for Consultation Process to Develop Regulations 2009, the LTA has finalized regulations on the registration of SIM/RUIM Cards, which have been adopted as the Amended SIM/RUIM Card Registration Regulations;
WHEREAS,all Telecommunications Service Providers and other relevant stakeholders have agreed to implement the Amended SIM/RUIM Cards Registration Regulations for the benefits of the people of Liberia and the country;
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the foregoing premises, the LTA hereby orders:
- That there shall be a nationwide public sensitization carry out by the LTA in collaboration with the Service Providers and the National Identification Registry (NIR) beginning the effective date of this Order.
- That all Service Providers shall undertake topilot the implementation of the SIM Card Registration for three (3) months beginning March 1, 2020 and ending June 30, 2020. During this pilot phase, Service Providers shall, on a monthly basis, furnish the LTA with data/information on the implementation of the pilot.
- That all Telecommunications Service Providers shall, beginning July 1, 2020,commence and enforce the registration of all new subscribers in accordance with the Amended SIM/RUIM Card Registration Regulations;
- That a timeframe (Reregistration Window) for the registration of existing subscribers on the networks of Telecommunications Service Providers is hereby established, and shall remain in effect six (6) months beginning July 1, 2020 and ending December 31, 2020.
- That upon the closure of the Reregistration Window, any existing SIM Card that is not registered in accordance with the Amended SIM Card Registration Regulations shall immediately be deactivated by Telecommunications Service Providers; and that failure to do so, penalties shall be applied in accordance with the Amended SIM Card Registration Regulations.
THIS ORDER SHALL TAKE EFFECT UPON PUBLICATIONS. ONCE PUBLISHED IT SHALL HAVE THE SAME LEGAL FORCE AS A REGULATION OF THE LTA, AND SHALL REMAIN IN FORCE AND EFFECT UNTIL OTHERWISE ORDERED BY THE LTA OR PURSUANT TO LEGAL PROCESSES.
DONE IN MONROVIA this ____ day of January 2020
THE LIBERIA TELECOMMUNICATIONS AUTHORITY
Hon. Edwina Crump Zackpah Hon. Maria G. Harrison
Commissioner, LTA Commissioner, LTA
Hon. D. Zotawon Titus. Hon. Israel Akinsanya.
Commissioner, LTA Commissioner, LTA
Hon. Ivan G. Brown